The Bliss Elementary School had welcomed children through its distinctive front portico since 1909. It had been closed and sitting empty for decades when Eckman was chosen to rehabilitate the building for residential use. An addition was also constructed and joined to the back of the original structure.
The original character of the building was maintained, and now residents pass that preserved and updated portico on a daily basis.
The existing, renovated, two-story building contains 10 one-bedroom apartments and the three-story addition contains 30 two- and three-bedroom apartments along with a community room and laundry facilities. The two structures are connected by a lobby and vestibule.