Of the three Newport schools Eckman renovated concurrently, Richards Elementary School underwent the most dramatic changes.
The 1896 building was renovated throughout, and a 30,000 square-foot, two-story wing was added. The addition includes 12 classrooms, a multi-purpose room with a stage, a new boiler to serve the new and existing portions of the building, and an elevator. Eckman constructed an expanded, 2-level cafeteria.
The original front entrance of the school had been bricked over. Reconfiguration of the existing building restored this formal entry, and provided a secure main entrance next to the new school office.